Okuyama Kogen: A Paradise of flowers and nature

  

Last weekend, I decided to take a break from city life and visit Okuyama Kogen, a sightseeing botanical park that spans Mt. Tonmaku in the mountain ranges north of Hamamatsu city, overlooking the border of Aichi prefecture. I had heard that this place was famous for its seasonal flowers and natural scenery, and I was not disappointed.

 

I arrived at the park around 12 pm, the admission fee of the park is 700 yen (Students are 500 yen, dogs 300 yen, and there are discounts for seniors). The park was spacious and well-maintained, with gentle sloping trails that followed the mountain terrain, and a water garden with a seven-step waterfall as the centerpiece of the park. There were also small walking paths on the mountain slopes for visitors to appreciate the proudly blooming flora as they strolled.


 

As it was late February, the main attraction of the park was the Shoryu Weeping Plum, a unique variety of plum tree that resembles a dragon rising into the heavens. There were about 300 of these trees in the park, and they were truly a remarkable sight. The delicate pink flowers contrasted with the dark branches, creating a stunning visual effect. I learned that the Shoryu Weeping Plum was a rare breed that was developed by a local monk and that the park also sold seedlings for those who wanted to grow their own.

 Besides the plum trees, other flowers added colors to the park, such as camellias, daffodils, and forsythias. The park was very peaceful and relaxing, and I felt like I was in a different world.

 


After enjoying the flowers, I decided to check out some of the other facilities that the park offered. There was a dog run, a putting golf course, a fishing pond, and a restaurant. I didn't have my dog with me, but I saw many people who brought their furry friends to the park. The dog run was large and fenced, and the dogs seemed to have a lot of fun running around and playing with each other. The putting golf is open from April to early July. The fishing pond was stocked with rainbow trout, and I saw some people who caught some big ones. 

 

I spent about two hours in the park, and I felt like I had a lot to see and do. I really enjoyed my visit to Okuyama Kogen, and I would recommend it to anyone who loves flowers and nature. It was a great way to experience the beauty of Japan's four seasons and to escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. I hope to come back again in the future and see the different flowers that bloom in each season.

 

If you are interested in visiting Okuyama Kogen, you can find more information on the iNHAMAMATSU.COM website. The park is open from 10 am to 5 pm and is closed on Tuesdays and from mid-July to mid-February (subject to change depending on the season, weather, and events). The park is accessible by car and is about 10 minutes from the Hamamatsu Inasa Interchange on the Shin-Tomei Expressway, or about 35 minutes from the Mikabi Interchange on the Tomei Expressway.


Make sure to check out the souvenir shop. They are providing complimentary hot ume/plum tea. They sell sanshoku dango (three-colored mochi dumplings), which is an essential part of hanami (picnic under sakura tree) culture in Japan. They also sell Hamamatsu gyoza flavor potato chips, it taste so good. The shopkeeper speaks a little English, and she is very friendly.



For more information please visit iNHamamatsu website  https://www.inhamamatsu.com/activity/okuyama-kogen.php

Comments