A Day with the Yurikamome at Sakume Station

 

Hello, everyone! I am very happy to share with you my story of visiting Sakume Station and seeing the beautiful and friendly seagulls called Yurikamome. 

Sakume Station is a small station on the Tenryu Hamanako Railway, which is a local train line that goes around Lake Hamana. Lake Hamana is very famous for its nature and seafood. The train line is very nice because you can see the lake and the mountains from the window. 

One of the special things about Sakume Station is that there are many Yurikamome there. Yurikamome is a kind of seagull that has white feathers and blackheads. They look like lilies, which are flowers that are white and have yellow centers. Yuri means lily, and kamome means seagull in Japanese. Yurikamome are birds that travel a lot. They live in cold places in the summer and warm places in the winter. They come to Lake Hamana every winter because it is warm and has a lot of fish. Yurikamome seagulls usually fly in from December to early February every year.

The Yurikamome seagulls at Sakume Station are very friendly and not afraid of people. They like to eat rice crackers, which are snacks that are made of rice and have different flavors. You can buy rice crackers at the coffee shop attached to the Sakume station and feed them to the Yurikamome. They will come very close to you and take the crackers from your hand. They will perch on your hand or even your head. They will also make sounds that sound like laughing or crying. They are very cute and funny.

I arrived at Sakume Station around noon. The station was small and cozy, with a wooden building and a single platform. As soon as I stepped on the platform, I heard the loud and cheerful cries of the Yurikamome. They were flying around the station, landing on the roof, the fence, the trees, and the ground. Some of them were resting on the water, while others were diving for fish. They were so lively and charming. 

I bought some rice crackers and went to the platform, where I saw more Yurikamome waiting for me. They looked at me with curiosity and expectation. Waiting to be fed. I threw a rice cracker into the air, and a Yurikamome caught it with its beak. It ate it and made a happy sound. It flew back to me and looked at me again. I handed out another rice cracker, and another Yurikamome perch on my hand to eat it. Soon, I had many Yurikamome around me, all wanting more crackers. I had so much fun feeding and watching the Yurikamome. 

If you ever have a chance to visit Lake Hamana, I recommend you stop by and meet these lovely seagulls. They will surely become an unforgettable experience and give you a good memory. For more information about Yurikamome and Sakume station, or if you wanna do an overnight tour around Hamanako, check out Tenryu Hamanako Railway【1 Night/2 Day Recommended Itinerary】 | iN HAMAMATSU.COM


Comments